Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

these boots were made for walking

I am going to Bolivia in the rainy season. One of the many weather related stats I read, stated that during these months, there could be 18 or more days of rain per month. That's a lot.

I was told to bring an umbrella and rain boots, and be prepared for rain.

I think rain boots are adorable. One of my friends gave me a pair of lady bug rain boots for my birthday a few years ago. I wore them all of the time. Well, I did until the right boot split up the back. I do not know why. I attempted to fix it with shoe glue and tape, but they were a lost cause. I keep them around because they are wonderful for short trips to the dumpster in the rain or snow. But I knew they would not last me six weeks in the rainy season of a country with rain forest. Not happening.

So yesterday, I put rain boots on my to do/ to buy list. (Which in theory should be decreasing, but is only getting longer.) I started shopping online. I found a really cute pair that had owls (my favorite) on them. They were adorable, and almost $80. I could not justify that purchase at all. So the search continued. Most of the boots online were more than I was willing to spend, plus there was added s&h fees. I was annoyed.

I went to a friend's house to babysit last night, and afterwards, we ended up catching up. She shared with me some of her own God stories, and encouraged me with some truth from the Bible.

I was getting ready to leave, and out of no where I asked her if she could pray for me to find boots. Now, I don't normally pray for boots, and I certainly have never asked a friend to pray for boots, but I did, as random as that felt. I shared with her how I didn't want to spend a lot, and how I wanted something kinda cute. I told her my annoyance with online shopping, and that I needed them soon.

She went to her mud room and showed me a pair of boots she had recently gotten around Christmastime. They were from Costco, and in my budget. She told me to check online, and that I could possibly pick them up in the store. That sounded like a good plan to me. So I decided I would look on Costco's website later.

This morning I was searching on Costco's website, and they didn't have any rain boots. None. I was frustrated. So I continued the search on other websites. I am leaving in 22 days, so I knew I had to order soon because shipping sometimes takes a while. I ended up giving up, with the promise to attack this project again later.

My friend shot me a text soon after my annoyed fit, and asked if I could pop over to her house sometime during the day. I couldn't get over there until later afternoon, and she would be gone by then. So she sent me a text saying there was a bag next to the porch, behind the bushes for me.

I was confused. I had been there the night before. What did I leave there? Or maybe she had baked a yummy treat? I honestly was so perplexed.

I got to her house, ran up, and grabbed the bag. I sat in my car and opened it.

It was her new Christmas boots.

Stunned, I reached for the card, read it, and wept. She said God told her to give the boots to me as soon as I asked her to pray about it. She also said the boots are too small for her, and don't fit right. They are a size 7. I wear a 6.5.

The rest of the card was filled with some incredible verses.

"Stand firm ... with your FEET filled with readiness that comes from the gospel of peace." Ephesians 6:14a-15

"It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my FEET like that of a deer, he enables me to stand on the heights" Psalm 18:32-33

"He will not suffer your FOOT to be moved: he that keeps you will not slumber." Psalm 66:9

"How beautiful on the mountains are the FEET of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, 'Your God reigns!'" Isaiah 52:7

I am so beyond grateful I have a God who supplied rain boots in my size, for free, with no shipping costs or delays. They have yellow trim on them (yellow is my most beloved color), say sweet phrases, and have birds on them. They are so delightfully perfect for me. I am so blessed I have a friend who listened to the still, small voice of a real God, and gave up selfishness to love me, and meet my need. I hadn't asked her to give up what was hers. I hadn't even thought it. I had only asked if she would pray and believe He would provide a way. He certainly did.

Could a girl be more blessed?!?!?!

With every day, He is preparing me. I have fallen in love with the Bible like never before. He is showing himself to be more loving, faithful, and real than I had ever believed. He is drawing me near to Himself, when I feel confused, or doubtful. He is going before me, and making a way. The past few weeks have been an explosion of the realness of God. It's been incredible.

I saw Beauty and the Beast (my favorite movie of all time) in 3D tonight. I decided I needed a night to myself relaxing since all babysitting jobs for tonight were cancelled.

Belle sang a song that really resounded in my heart tonight. I want adventure. I want more than could ever be planned for me. And I'm pretty sure I'm living that.

"I want much more than this provincial life
I want adventure in the great wide somewhere
I want it more than I can tell
And for once it might be grand
To have someone understand
I want so much more than they've got planned"

As always, can't wait to experience and share the next stories. I'm sure there will be some good ones coming up. I recently found out I will be doing my laundry by hand for all six weeks. Ha ha, oh boy. :)

Love, M


No comments:

Post a Comment