Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 15, 2012

late nights

I am not a night owl. I love late nights, but too often must wake up at unnaturally early hours. So normally, my phone alarm goes off at 8:30 pm for me to get ready for bed. But there are a few random spontaneous late nights sprinkled in my calendar that delight my soul. I love late nights.

I started my late night session tonight with a pot of Bolivian coffee. (www.boliviasbest.com) (100% of the proceeds go directly to supporting orphanages I will be working in next month. Win-Win!) I turned on my Pandora radio to Brooke Fraser, and started on some projects.

One way I am trying to raise money for my trip is by selling my homemade cookies for a donation. Tonight was my big baking night. So I began to gather ingredients for my cookies. I had planned on making oatmeal chocolate chip, chocolate - chocolate chip, and m&m cookies. I quickly discovered I didn't have all the ingredients needed for any of the cookies.

Thank the Lord for a Meijer opened 24 hours, only six minutes away! So with a newly formed list I bustled out the door a little bit before 1:00 am. I arrived at the glorious store, and I headed straight for the baking aisle, which I am well acquainted with. I gathered my supplies and hustled to check out, so the baking could commence.

I then ran into a sweet lady who works at Meijer as a midnight cashier. Because of my long days and busy schedule, I have seen her a few times in the past weeks on my late night grocery shopping trips.

This lady has been on my heart, on my mind, and in my prayers since the first time I met her. Tonight I was honored to be able to talk with her for a while. I was able to share my God's faithfulness, and my personal relationship with Him. I shared about my trip to Bolivia, how God is using me, and how He is so real. I heard her story of a rough past few years, and her anxieties of the future. She told me how blessed I am, but she doesn't even know how much I look forward to seeing her and her beautiful smile when I walk into Meijer. She blesses me with stories of her daughter and her encouraging words. She always tells me "just keep going  forward and keep praying."

I was just thinking of Brandon Heath's lyrics. "Give me Your eyes for just one second. Give me Your eyes so I can see. Everything that I keep missing. Give me Your love for humanity. Give me Your arms for the broken-hearted. The ones that are far beyond my reach. Give me Your heart for the ones forgotten. Give me Your eyes so I can see."

If we have His love, we will want to share it. If we have His eyes, we will be able to recognize a need. If we have His arms, we will be able to comfort. If we have His heart, we have patience and compassion for the broken. We will go out of our way to love, even when its uncomfortable or inconvenient. We are His hands and feet, meant to go and do.

So I am asking if you could join me in praying for my new friend this week. Pray that God reveals himself in a real way, and that He draws her close to Him. Pray for her daughter and her school, and pray that she would have a peace about her anxieties.

I really believe God puts people in our paths so we can show them real love, and share who He is. So maybe next time, smile and mean it, listen when someone needs an ear, or pray for someone, even if you don't know them.

It is 4:00am. Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are complete. This girl is going to bed. I have Bolivia things to share tomorrow. Or is that today? Hmm. Bed, I need you.

Love, M


No comments:

Post a Comment