Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 28, 2012

check engine light, grocery shopping, and a secret admirer

I feel like I have much to share tonight. So hold on tight!

Last night my car's check engine light came on, and I became stressed. I asked for prayer for my health, rest, and provision. Last night was one of the best nights of sleep ever. I slept on a friend's couch in jeans with one blanket, and I woke up so refreshed and rejuvenated. Any left over icky feelings was gone, and my heart was so at peace. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your prayers! I woke up this morning and read 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." So true.

I took my car to the shop this morning. I turned in her keys, and sat down in the corner, and opened up the Bible. I have never before felt so at peace waiting to hear uncertain, potentially expensive news.

I began reading in Psalms 103 and 104. "Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits....The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love....he does not treat us as our sins deserve...For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him....But from everlasting to everlasting, the Lord's love is with those who fear him..." " Praise the Lord, my soul, O Lord my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty. The Lord wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind. He makes winds his messengers, flames of fire his servants. He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.... How many are your works, Lord! In wisdom you made them all... May the glory of the Lord endure forever; may the Lord rejoice in his works...I will sing to the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. May my meditation be pleasing to him, as I rejoice in the LORD..."

What powerful reminders of who God is. He is the one who stretched the heavens, and forgave my sin. Him alone. He is mighty to save. He is faithful. He is in control, and He holds the future.

So, the reason for the check engine light was because it was giving a "torque converter clutch code". I have no idea what this means. Other than my car keeps shifting into overdrive. I was told it will need to be fixed eventually, but she is safe to drive for now. She will not leave me stranded, or blow up (one of my slightly irrational fears). I can drive her, she will probably just get worse gas mileage. So that was all great news! I was able to have my car all day on my only free afternoon left to accomplish a lot of my errands. And the best part, he didn't charge me anything! Isn't God good? I was praying for under $200 today, and I didn't even pay two cents.

I have ongoing lists; "big to do", "small to do", "to buy", and "home to do". I have been quite the distracted girl lately. I will think of something that needs to be accomplished, and by the time I find paper, it has flown out of my brain. Planning for life for the immediate now, the next bit, six weeks in a third world country, and then the back to reality has been almost overwhelming. I accomplished so much today.

I bought a lot of things on the "to buy" list today. I was told to take a Pepto Bismol tablet with every meal to reduce upset stomach, so I bought 9 boxes. I did feel a bit ridiculous checking out. I got hair clips and pony tails to do hair of beautiful girls while at baby washings. I got a lot of random things I know I won't have access to while in Bolivia. I went to 4 stores, slowly but surely checking off the list.

At the last store of the evening, my good friend joined me. She helped me think through what I might need, and wandered aisles as we laughed and put items in the cart; contact lens solution, battery powered alarm clock, hair gel, bandaids, etc. Travelling always requires a big shopping trip beforehand. We approached the self check out, and I told her to go first since she only had a few things. I turned to look at a magazine, and next thing I knew, she was ringing up all of my items. I very confused, asked her what she was doing, and she smiled, and ignored my frantic yelling. She said she wanted to help buy a few things. She ended up paying for all of it. She completely surprised me. I was blown away. What an incredible friend. I also have a couponing friend who let me "shop" her stock pile, and grab things for my trip. So the "to buy" list has shrunk considerably.

Sometime after I was home from errands, and before dinner, (only 25 minutes or so) someone left a card and chocolate rose on my car. The card had $20 in it and said "chelle, your awesome". I am perplexed. But beyond blessed. I will be celebrating Valentine's day alone, flying to Miami, and preparing for my adventure. I am so amazed at someone's thoughtfulness. I got to celebrate Valentine's day a bit early. No idea who my secret admirer is, but you certainly made my night.

I am blessed beyond words. Just so amazed at each day. I have an incredible Savior, and amazing friends and family. So much more to look forward to! 17 days left. Packing should start soon...yikes!

So blessed. Can't wait to share more. Love, M

No comments:

Post a Comment