Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2012

8 days left!

I am 8 days away from the biggest adventure of my life so far. 8 days. Single digits. Next week. Here we go!

This trip is a long time coming. I got the ball rolling for this trip last January. So it has been 13 months wondering, and preparing for Bolivia. But in the early 90's, my dad went to Honduras for a building mission trip. When he came home, I heard stories of him building churches, seeing God move, and stories about all the kids. As a little girl I wanted to be just like my daddy, and still do. He is a good, Godly man. I want to love on the unlovable, build churches, share Jesus to those who need Him, and be used by a real God. This is a long time coming. I know I have some sort of calling on my life. Not sure what that means, entirely. But I do know Bolivia for 6 weeks is a good step in the right direction. 

I have a strange love for brown babies. My only guess from where this began would be the kids my dad had taken pictures of while on mission trips. One of my favorite stories my mom tells, is when my younger sister was born, I was so upset she wasn't brown. I didn't want a white baby. I wanted a brown one. She thinks when we had visited the hospital beforehand, the nursery only had little brown babies. Wherever this love came from, it is there, deep in my heart. I can't wait to love on some brown Bolivian babes, wrap my arms around them, cover them in kisses, tell them how beautiful they are, and how loved they are. Ah. My heart aches to be there.

God is so good. His mercies are new every morning. He is faithful and constant even when nothing else is. I have been falling so in love with my Savior the past few weeks. His love for me is overwhelming. He is in control over everything, and His timing is perfect.

This weekend so many wonderful things occurred. On Friday night, a couple girl friends and I went out to Novi, and stayed the night in a hotel. Through God's favor, and an awesome couple, we got the two hotel rooms for free. We had such a lovely night. We had a fun dinner together, shared stories in the hot tub, ate cheese cake on the bed, and had one of the sweetest nights of my life. We shared what His has been teaching us in His word, and had an incredible night of prayer. I have always believed prayer is a good thing, but didn't always believe in the power of it. My goodness. I know with everything in me, how powerful prayer can be. I get to talk to the Creator of the universe, and He listens, and knows me intimately. It's incredible. The same power that rose Jesus Christ from the dead, lives inside of me. I have that power. My eyes have been opened to how important prayer, and the power of God is. James 5:16b "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." I am so blessed to have an awesome sisterhood that has come along side me, mentored me, and prayed for, and with me. Ah. I could write and write the things I have been learning about my God, and His love, but there wouldn't be enough time. I do challenge you to read the Bible for yourself, and ask God to reveal what it means, and seek out to know more. It will change your life.

Packing is in full swing. I have shrink wrapped toilet paper, and laughed about it. My living room is a mess of lists and piles. But we are getting there!

Saturday I was able to spend the whole day with my best friend and her beautiful baby girl. We celebrated my birthday, 3 months late, but it was celebrated! It was gorgeous, warm, and sunny. I loved it. I have been so blessed to get a lot of quality friend time lately.

Last night, my roommate and I went to downtown Detroit, as part of our roommate fun-day Sunday. We went ice skating to start off the festivities. I had accidentally forgotten my socks at home, on the table. I planned on buying socks at the ice rink, but they had ran out. So I put my skates on barefoot. Perhaps not one of my better plans. I am not a great skater, but I am much improved from when I began a few years ago. Last night was awful. In my mind, I believe I am Michelle Kwan, but once I am laying in the middle of the rink, I realize I am Michelle Robinson. I fell so many times last night. Frustrated, I tried to leave the rink, slipped, and landed flat on my back, hurting everything, everywhere. I think I am going to retire my skates for a little bit. :) We then went to Hard Rock Cafe for dinner, which was close to empty, due to the Superbowl. After dinner, we walked to Greek town, to get dessert from Astoria Bakery. Yummmmmm. I even got to share the love of Jesus with a homeless man. It was such a fun night.

Until, we couldn't find the car. Neither of us could remember where we had parked. We started wandering the streets of downtown Detroit, alone, and in the dark. Probably not the best. Frustrated, we paused, and I suggested praying. I closed my eyes, and I'm pretty sure my roommate was a bit freaked out, and was actively keeping watch. I just asked for our steps to be guided to the car, for us to be pointed in the right direction, and for continued safety. Less than a minute later, a man on the other side of the street yelled at us that we were looked lost, and needed to go straight, then turn right. He also said we looked lovely like angels. The car was right where he told us to go. I don't know if he saw our ice skates and pointed us in the direction of the rink, or if he was an angel, just giving us crystal clear directions, but God used that man. Hebrews 13:2 "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

Please listen to me, I am not an advocate for a couple of girls wandering the streets of Detroit alone after dark. Don't do it. I believe God gave us brains. But, I also am a believer in God's power and protection. I had such a peace walking the streets of Detroit. I was reminded of a verse. Isaiah 54:17 "No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is from Me,” says the Lord." Any weapon, any evil man, any wrong doing had to go through Jesus, who was covering me. I was claiming that verse. He had me. If I can wander Detroit, I can go to Bolivia by myself. I have the power and protection of God. He's got me. 2 Timothy 4:17a " But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength..." 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 1 John 4:18a "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casteth out fear.."

I am so excited for things to come. I am not nervous or scared. Just excited! I am so blessed that He continues to use me here, right where I'm at. 8 days left in the mitten for a while. :)

Please be praying for:
- Me as packing is going on. I have a lot to take, and bags must weigh under a certain weight. Prayers also needed for lowest possible baggage fees.
- My heart to be prepared to leave.
- Final preparations.
- Family to have peace with me being gone.
- People of Bolivia.
- Missionaries in Bolivia.
- Continued good health and safety.

Happy Monday! Love, M



No comments:

Post a Comment