Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 10, 2012

He hears the whispers of my heart, even in the kitchen.

I love to bake.


I have since I was a little girl. My easy bake oven was one of my favorite toys growing up. One year in high school, for my mom's birthday, I made a triple layer cake. I remember how proud I was of that lopsided, delicious thing.


When I moved out, on my own, two and half years ago, I rediscovered my love for baking.

The idea of taking different items and mixing them together, and baking them to create a bite of paradise was pure joy to me. I love to create my own recipes. Finding new ways to make desserts from scratch became a passion. The aroma of a sweet treat filling my home was good for my soul. I love to bake to relax, to show someone how much I love them, because I'm happy, to get anger out, because I'm bored, because I found a new recipe. I just love it. I'm nothing too special. Baking is just something I love dearly. It is what helps make me, me.


While baking the past few years, I have used a fork to mix. I don't own a mixer. I realize I could go to the store and get a cheap mixer, but I know they don't last long. And really, I have always wanted a kitchenaid stand mixer. Always. But they are crazy expensive, and I have never been able to justify spending the money. So I use a fork, knowing I will have sore wrists and arms before the oven heats up. I am not complaining, I enjoy it, and it is just a fact.


I was on a mini vacation down south a couple weeks ago visiting my friend. She is getting married this summer, and I am a bridesmaid. I flew down for a long weekend to help her with all things wedding. (I love weddings. I love planning them. I love being in them. I need a separate closet for all my bridesmaid dresses. I just love them. Ah!) We were registering for gifts at a store for her.


And then, I saw it.


The most beautiful kitchenaid mixer ever. So much potential in its little self. My daydreaming kicked in. Brownies with caramel, banana breakfast bread, moist chocolate chip cookies, lemon pie, apple crumb muffins, pasta sauces, oh the possibilities were endless. 






I looked at the price tag and laughed. Reality set back in. I told my friend jokingly, I just want to get married just so I register for a kitchenaid. (Totally joking. I would love to be married one day. Kitchen appliances included or not.) She laughed. But really in my mind thinking I will not own one until there is a certain ring on a certain finger.


Owning a kitchenaid has always been on my heart. I told a friend if I ever owned one while still single (not given at a wedding shower), it was going to be a really cool God story, I just knew it.

Back home after my trip, I wanted to try out a new recipe for homemade red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting for our young adult Bible study. I knew I really needed a mixer to get my frosting right.


I called up on of my dear friends and asked to borrow her kitchenaid. She said of course! I could borrow it for a week. I then made my first batch of cupcakes. I fell in love with this silly machine that made life in the kitchen so easy and quick.


A week later was yesterday. My friend called me. We made small talk at first, and then she brought up the mixer. She told me that God had put it on her heart not to just let me borrow it, but to give it to me. She talked it over with her husband, and  they were in agreement, and just wanted to bless me.



They didn't know that for years I had been wanting one. They knew I wanted to borrow it for a few days. But the Creator of the Universe put it in my friend's heart to give it to me. My friend was obedient. And I was blessed beyond measure. I own a kitchenaid!!!!!!


My friend told me she knew I would use it to bake to bless people and for ministry. I instantly thought of when I went to Bolivia a few months ago. I baked cookies and goodies and sold them to pay for my shots to go to Bolivia. I also thought of how often when I bake just to bake, and give it all away, He uses that to bless other people. I cannot wait to get in my kitchen and bake away. I plan on baking to go to Haiti, I plan on baking to love people. I am so excited.


Goodness. I am such a blessed girl. I have a God who cares about my mixing needs in the kitchen. He hears the little whispers of my heart. He doesn't want to be involved in just the big-life is falling apart things. He desires an intimate relationship with us. He wants to be apart of the things that seem so tiny, we don't share with others. He is not a God who just sits in heaven looking down occasionally.


He is active in our lives, if we allow Him to.





God's word says in James 4:8 "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." He longs and desires to be close with us.


He is a good God. He wants to bless us. " If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! 


Life is hard. But God is good. And sometimes He uses an obedient friend to bless the socks off of me. 


So I really encourage you, are you supposed to be blessing someone with what you have? You never know how it will effect someone when you are just obedient and give in faith. Or, do you need to be more open and aware  and thankful of His blessings? He is our daddy, He  wants to give us good things and love us. We just need to be in tune to His voice and following Him. 


Have a wonderful, sunny Sunday. I am looking forward to being outside today. Soak up the sun, with a good spf! 


Can't wait to share the other amazing things He is working out, and teaching me. Love, M 

No comments:

Post a Comment