Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 7, 2012

A voice.

Just a warning, I am fired up.

I went to the mall today. I saw an advertisement. It said "Be a voice for those who can't be a voice for themselves." (My exact prayer, word for word the past few weeks)

The background of the words was a tiger. The entire ad was for an animal foundation.

I don't love animals, but I certainly don't hate them. I don't want them to die.

I'm just concerned about our priorities.

Maybe this rant is because this is fresh. But I don't want to forget.  I want to be voice. I am called to be a voice.

So. Are you kidding me?!!??!!!

We care more about saving the tigers than we do about the broken people in our world.

If I were to put up a poster with a picture of a 12 year old prostitute, a starving homeless family, a crowd of kids high from glue, a baby that might not live til his second birthday because of need for surgery his mom can't afford, orphans that don't know the love of a family, a woman beat by her husband in a park, a baby with glue smeared on his little face to quiet the crying, an old woman selling fruit juice on the corner for pennies, girls lost to the chains of human trafficking, or children living in the prisons with their parents what would people do?

What would they think? Would they dart their eyes away from the ugly reality? Would they awkwardly laugh? Would it be taken down? Would it make people think? Would it make them feel? Would it make a difference? Would it?

Being a voice for those who can't be a voice for themselves is hard. It's uncomfortable. It's awkward. It's offensive. It's not always fun. It's not glamorous. I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know if anyone is reading or listening. I don't know if any of this makes a difference. I don't know what to say. I don't know how to get from here to there. I just don't know.

It isn't all about throwing money at a nice sounding organization. It isn't just about being informed. It isn't about feeling something and doing nothing.

Sympathy is not a substitution for action. -David Livingston

Proverbs 31:8 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.

Proverbs 29:7 The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Psalm 9:9 The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.

It's only been a few days since I was in my beloved country, Bolivia. My heart really missed it today.

Just continuing to trust that I'm where I'm supposed to be.

I love you all. M:)

I can't wait to share some new stories that are still in the works. Be prepared to have your mind blown. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment