Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Holding Space.

If we're honest with ourselves, we struggle in the uncomfortable moments. We shy away from the awkward. We don't know what to say in the midst of brokenness. 

We want people to know that we love them, we hate whatever is going on, and we hurt with them. But so often, our words fall short. 

We don't know what to say. 

We act like there might be a magical string of words, that if said correctly, will fix the brokenness. 

But that's not the way it works. 

I've learned a lot in the past year. One of the more valuable things I practice as often as I can. 

It's not anything extravagant or difficult, and I'm not an expert, but I think it's better than any awkward fumbling string of words. 

When I get the call, read the text, or hear the words of brokeness, I want you to know: 

"I'm holding space for you."

I'm not making this about me. Im not believing that I need to say a perfect comment to fix things. I'm not forcing the issue. I'm just letting you know there is space for you. There is safety and love here. We can talk or not talk. We can sit. We can drive around. I can listen. I can distract. You can change your mind with what you need. 

But I'm holding space for you, and for whatever you need, whenever you're ready. 

You may not know what you need, or when you'll need it. But there is space for you when it's time. 

I will love you consistently, without opinions. I will love you, even if I don't agree. I will love you even though I am scared and confused, as well. I will love you, even if it's unconventional, inconvenient, or uncomfortable. I will love you without trying to solve anything. 

There is love, there is safety, and there is space for you. 

The world is ugly. 

People are dealing with divorce, cancer, miscarriage, death, chronic illness, bankruptcy, loss of job, homelessness, crisis pregnancies, abuse, depression, singleness, infertility, waiting, and so much more. 

The weight is heavy. 

Just know, I'm standing in your corner. I'll carry you. 

There is space for you here. There is safety for you here. There is love for you here. 

M. 




No comments:

Post a Comment