Total Pageviews

Monday, July 29, 2013


Life has been a bit on the busy side lately. Summertime can do that to you. I have recently started planning my fall. (I am nowhere near being ready to give up summer yet, but I am a planner by nature.)


Mid summer every year, I begin to consider what ministries I will serve in when September rolls around. I often say "yes" to everything, because I struggle with saying "no" to anything.


I have spent a lot of time in prayer over this, and have come to some really strange conclusions. Life is about to get uncomfortable.


I am giving up serving in youth group. This may not seem too monumental to most, but it has been my life since 1999. I have either attended, had a leadership role, or served in youth group for 14 years. So, taking a year off is getting out of my comfort zone. I will miss my girls, the lame games, and the routine of youth group.


For almost two weeks, I didn't know why God had told me to give youth group up. I had nothing really in the works. Just a still small voice telling me to wait and watch.
About the same time, one of my best friends wrote a blog about her frustration about women's ministry in the church. Read it here!


It was then read by a woman, very involved in women's ministry, that had been praying for years for a solution to young, single women being apart of women's ministry.


So, after much prayer, chats, meetings, and consideration, it is official.


I am co-leading a women's Bible study with one of my best friends this fall.


I am terrified. Give me babies, toddlers, children, or even teenagers, and I am okay. But women!? I don't know a thing about women's ministry. What do I have in common with married women, with children? How could God call me to teach women twenty years older than I am?


For years I have had a very bitter taste in my mouth, left by women from the church. Feelings of not being "enough" (good enough, smart enough, pretty enough, skinny enough, womanly enough etc.) because I can't find a husband, have followed me for years. The lies that something must be wrong with me, have been living in the corners of my mind for far too long. Because I do not have have a man at my side, or a baby on my hip, I have often felt like I don't know what I'm talking about, and have no place in serving in ministry. God is showing me these are just lies from the enemy.


I know that God gave me something to share. I will not let this season of life go to waste. I will do what He has called me to do, even if it is uncomfortable and awkward.


So, instead of growing bitter, and allowing what I think other women's views of me to change who I am, I am stepping up, and stepping out.


It's time to be a bridge, and ask God for healing within women of His church.


So, as uncomfortable as it is, "Hello Women's Ministry!"
It's going to be a crazy ride.


If anyone is interested in joining me in this journey, we will be teaching No Other Gods : confronting our modern day idols by Kelly Minter. Class begins September 16th at The River Church in Holly, MI.


Love, Michelle 

1 comment:

  1. So EXCITED for you Michelle! Thanks for sharing your heart, and stepping out of your comfort zone is one of the most difficult but also most rewarding adventures you can go on with God!

    ReplyDelete